Established in year 2016 by our Founder and Managing Partner, Ms Y S Ling, the firm commenced its practice by offering a full range of legal and advisory services to deal with our clients’ legal concerns as well as to support and enhance our clients’ business needs both locally and globally.
We are a legal firm based in Malaysia which aims to provide our clients with excellent quality, speedy and efficient legal services to all variety of clients ranging from entrepreneurs, financial institution, developers, statutory bodies and management bodies. The exclusive nature of our practice allows us to bring any dispute into sharp focus. This enables us to respond with prompt and thorough advice and professional solutions.
Apart from that, we are experienced litigators whom have developed skills not just as Solicitors but as Counsel. We are regularly briefed as counsel to argue cases at all tiers of our courts. Our team stands out for their ability to efficiently and effectively manage our clients’ requirements and expectations in litigation process wherein we placed great emphasis. In order to do so, we place great emphasis on all our clients being able to have access to our lawyers.
We are more than equipped to guide our clients through the many legal, regulatory and commercial challenges involved in their everyday business transactions. The firm is able to holistically advise on both the civil and criminal aspects of the cases it handles. The lawyers have the expertise to conduct criminal defence litigation when required to. Additionally, the firm is able to holistically advise on both the civil and criminal aspects of the cases it handles as our lawyers have all the relevant expertise to conduct both civil and criminal litigation.
WHY CHOOSE US ?
Y S Ling & Co. believes that effective legal representation begins with understanding our clients’ businesses and the environment in which they operate. Drawing on this understanding, we collaborate with our clients to handle the complex transactions and litigation faced by them in their businesses.
Our partners and lawyers are highly-skilled capable of handling difficult legal challenges and providing a promising opportunity dedicated to help our clients to reach their goals. The Partners at Y S Ling & Co. are highly-skilled trial and appellate lawyers, and effective negotiators. The Firm’s lawyers are capable of helping you or your organization efficiently manage legal issues in and out of the courtroom.
Our fundamental aim is to add value to our client’s businesses by providing our clients with prompt, cost-effective and customized legal solutions, improving their success. With emphasis on practicality and innovative legal solutions, our excellence is directly tied to our personalized client care and wide range of practice areas.
In brief, we have expertise in the following areas:
Some of the highlights of the cases that our Partners are involved in, ie.:
1. A landmark decision in Malaysia Land Properties Sdn Bhd v Waldorf & Windsor JMB  3 MLJ 467, Malaysia Land Properties Sdn Bhd (“Appellant”) was the owner and developer of a piece of land in Sri Hartamas, Kuala Lumpur, on which Waldorf & Windsor Tower (“W&W Tower”) had been built. The Appellant claimed that the JMB of W&W Tower (“Respondent”) had trespassed onto a part of the 7th floor of the W&W Tower by occupying it as its management office. The Court of Appeal held that the disputed area formed part of the common property of W&W Tower as the entire 7th floor was initially planned and approved as a floor for common facilities and that the building plans for the same did not provide for any commercial area. The Court observed that if the 7th floor was in fact intended to be a commercial area to be sold at some point in time, it would have been part of the stock in trade of the Appellant and entered into its accounts as fixed assets for tax purposes. In this regard, the Court found that the Appellant had failed to produce any accounting records to show that the disputed area formed part of its stock in trade.
2. The prosecution and appeal against Dato’ Seri Mohd Khir Toyo for an offence under s.165 Penal Code for allegedly purchasing a property without adequate consideration from a person who is said to have official dealing in his capacity as the then Menteri Besar of Selangor.
3. Defending the then Member of Parliament for Padang Serai, YB Gobalakrishnan in a defamation suit instituted by a prominent lawyer, Manjeet Singh Dhillon for statement uttered by YB Gobalakrishnan that Manjeet Singh Dhillon was a tool of the Opposition Leader in attacking the administration of justice, i.e. the Police, the Prosecution and the Judiciary. The matter is now pending trial in the KL High Court.
4. Habeas corpus application for Balankumaran a/l Sanasee v Government of Malaysia & Ors which turned into a judicial review application for the wrongful detention of our client.
5. Drug trafficking cases of PP v Chuwudy Sunday Oreke, PP v Iluomuya Nancy etc.
6. Koike (M) Sdn Bhd v. CIMB Bank Berhad, a case involving the wrongful remittance of money via the SWIFT system.
7. CIMB Bank Berhad v. Anthony Lawrence Bourke & Anor, a landmark Federal Court’s decision involving the application and interpretation of exclusion clauses.
The Firm’s philosophy of impartiality has become evident in its representation of interests irrespective of ideology, political stance, religious or racial predispositions of potential litigants which it has either defended or prosecuted.
OUR LEGAL TEAM
WHAT WE DO
We are expert in these
Law Practice areas
“The good lawyer is not the man who has an eye to every side and angle of contingency, and qualifies all his qualifications, but who throws himself on your part so heartily, that he can get you out of a scrape.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson